Dom Wave Period: 8 sec
Average Period: 4.8 sec
Mean Wave Dir: SE (132°)
AT Ps: 30.16 in (1021.3 mb)
Ps Tendency: -0.01 in (-0.3 mb)
Air Temp: 82°F (27.7°C)
Dew Point: 77°F (25.2°C)
Water Temp: 80°F (26.7°C)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts   Log In HelpLog In / Registration Help 

Braided vs. Mono

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunatamer4
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Braided vs. Mono Reply with quote

Last week a ? was raised at our club meeting about mono or braided line for grouper groping. A reply was that braided is not good for the task because it doesn't hold up well to the abrasion of the snags where they live.

I feel that the "super lines" are better than mono for the job due to the smaller diameter/strength than mono.

Before moving to NC, I switched all my striper sticks over to braid due to the fact that snags are generally where you find them, hence the name "ROCKFISH". I lost alot less fish due to cut-offs from the pilings and rocks than when using mono.

IMO, braided is far superior for bottom bouncing for many reasons. Anyone who plays in the mud and has the touch knows why.
What are your thoughts?

Sorry for the rant, but this was just something eating at me that needed venting.

Junkyard
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got 100lb power pro on all my bottom rod's

just for LOSING grouper
sponsor www.lewsfishingtackle.com
www.finsfishing.com

Garrett
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use braided at all. I bought a spool of it a few years ago and didn't like it at all; it's harder to tie, the fish can see it easier, and it feels like there's wax on it. It is stronger for it's diameter than mono and it withstands scratches greatly, but to me the weaknesses outweight the strengths. I can see how it'd be great for rigs though.

Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mono......Mono and did I say I use Mono.

Why?
It Works....
It's Cheap.

I have used every kind of line out there at one time or another and after trying them all....I use Mono.

Dave

Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bottom fishing I use nothing but braid.. power pro 100lb test. Tie that to about 7 feet of mono for the bottom rig. On the top end connect it to your main line via a uni to uni knot.

The sensitivity is outstanding and the low stretch is much better for pulling grouper out from under a ledge.

I like to kid around and say that the power pro is so sensitive that you can feel the fish just looking at your bait!

FREEBIRD
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid with a mono topshot  
BIGStutts
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always used mono. i can tie better knots, and it always seemed like when i was using braid, i had many more tangles. its way too visable. when striper fishing this past winter i trolled live herring on two rods with mono and two rods with braid. mono won 8-1

Reel_Workman_ship
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used braid for bottom bouncing and just plain cant stand it it knots in very inconvient places and wont knot where you need it (on the hook) and it will cut you to the bone if you touch it while a fish is making a run. for bottom 80lb mono with a 100-150lb leader.

John

I spy with my little eye, something blue.

n 2 deep
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: mono vs braid Reply with quote

hello guys,
i just wanted to make some comments regarding the great debate of mono vs braid.

first of all i am pretty new to the bottom fishing, but since i have picked it up last year i have used both and this is what i think about it.

it is true that braid has less stretch and you can really pull a grouper from the bottom before heading in to the rocks, but i do think that they can see the braid alot easier than the mono, hence getting less bites.

i currently have braid on my reel that i just purchsed for grouper fishing and i got to tell you i am not really happy with it. i don't have any issues as far as tieing it or any thing like that , but they are a bitch when you get tangled up. there is no give, you are better off just cutting it off and making a new rig. however i don't seem to loose as many rigs using braid vs mono.

i recently fished with capt rusty on a grouper trip and he swears by the mono and i can see his point of it since when i was using mono last year i caught 10 time more grouper than i have this year using braid. hell maybe i need to switch to mono lol, but how about all the money i just spent on getting braid put on. well i am starting to learn from my mistakes lol. when it comes to fishing spending more money doesn't equal more fish.

all in all, i think it come down to personal preference and use what you believe to be the better of the two. i personally think that mono does catch more fish for what ever reason as when i fished the mono last year along side guys using braid, i caught alot more grouper than they did. i can't beleive i got talked into putting braid on my new reel.

well have a great day on the water and be safe.

david (hoohunter)

chuckc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried both braid and mono many times and uder different circumstances. for me the easy winner is mono.  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fish-Here.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: